Friday, August 04, 2006

Night Two

It's official. I have a newborn baby in the house again. OK, not really but it feels like it. Yesterday Richard came home with some sedatives from the vet (apparently the surgery came in $16 under, so they gave us $3 after the meds. Getting money back? That's a nice change.) He took one look at me and asked if I was OK and if I needed anything since I was still in house clothes and my hair was a mess. Apparently a shower would be good too since I had puppy poop on my shirt as well. Heck, I didn't even notice. How I look and how clean my house is right now isn't even on my radar.

Sound familiar?

Richard brought home another surprise as well. Since it was Vinny's 3 month birthday yesterday he brought home dog biscuits? No. Rawhide? Certainly not, he'd try to grab them with both arms. A new lovey? Nah, it would just get poopified. Well, what else could it be?

DOGGIE ICE CREAM!!! And did he ever like it. I swear this dog is so spoiled and the fame just might start getting to his head too. I do say though he is the cutest Boston in the whole galaxy, but I'm a bit biased. The doggie ice cream must have been good luck too because not more then 10 minutes later I thought we either had a major case of Boston farts or he finally did his business. Good thing he had training pads in the crate, there looked to be like 2 days worth of poop in there. Ih ope you're not eating. If he could talk, he'd sigh and say, "Boy, I feel better." How can a dog so small poop that much?

Speaking of small. I was looking a pictures from must a few days before the accident and now. I can't believe how fast he's growing and how fast things have changed for him, for us. He's looking so big. It worries me in a way though, I want his leg to grow properly, but I know we're doing all we can to insure he heals well.

The sedative was like magic at first, he slept so nicely on his side keeping pressure off of his arm. He slept for a long time and then we gave him his nightly anti-inflammatory after some water. He was so relaxed but still being himself, giving out kisses. Last night though, he woke up starving like he has been and he never could quite settle back down. I think we got up with him three times, just giving him lovins, checking on him, and trying not to cry from his begging to be on the bed. We gave him another quarter of the sedative but that didn't seem to help this time, she said if we had to, to give him a half. So we tried a little more and it was a tad better but not much. He must have slept too much earlier. I don't want to have him on a half if I can help it either. I think part of the problem is the darn collar. He has a hard time getting comfortable with it on, so we're going to get a different crate today.

Heidi aka Vinny's first mama and a local Boston breeder in the area said she could get us a nice discount on an open crate with dividers. I hope that will make him more comfortable.

I've been trying to rest when he's resting just like you would when you have a baby. This is a really difficult time because he naturally wants to play and get out and he just can't. We take him out for breaks but when we do we're hyper vigilant and constantly nervous something bad is going to happen. :o(

Our family really wants to thank all of you for caring. Some people we know have mentioned that if it were them, they'd put the dog down so they must be heartless. There's no way they'd spend a bunch of money on a dog or ask for help. They aren't heartless, but I don't think they can understand what it is like to love your pet so much, he or she is part of your family, until they've been there. To have those of you who understand give us get well wishes and do what you can to help, it's truly touching.

We've gotten many wonderful and encouraging comments here and at flickr as well as emails. All of Vinny's furry friends are greatly appreiated. To those who could donate, we're very humbled and we mean it when we say we hope we can give back someday soon to help other animals & their people who are in a similiar spot.

A big thank you to John and Tami. Without them, he would have never had his surgery.

A humble thanks to Ali, Letta & Piggy. I've been very humbled by her kindness. She is a genuine person that cares. It seems we have quite a bit in common and I know if I met her on the streets we'd be friends. She also made Vinny's blog look great. You're the bomb! Please check out Alley Cat Designs for a new look for your blogger blog. You're too generous.

Thank you to Andy of the Boston Photo Blog and to his two pups Bandit & Bo. We really appreciate your comments and spreading the message for us.

Thank you Amber & her Boston baby Kyla. You're also an angel and I appreciate the nice emails.

To my friend Kathy, girl your heart is gold. I know times are difficult for you too. Your advice and get well wishes are appreciated and we thank you.

Thanks to Fallen Muse. I have no idea who you are, but we thank you for helping Vinny.

Another big thank you goes to M of Sarcomical with Lucy, Ricky & Shiloh. I'm very touched that you'd come over and help Vinny. We can't thank you all enough.

So far Vinny's fund has $125 to help with his care. I hope to hear back from the surgeon soon about how much future pin exchanges will be and I also hope to hear back from IMOM and The Pet Fund as well. Without all of Vinny's friends & supporters letting us know about these resources I'd feel lost. The vet said that his next visit for staple removal is covered, we just have to come up with funds for x-rays and pain medicaiton if it's needed. I'm going to talk to them about pet insurance too, to get an idea of it works and if it's an option even for us since he's already been in an accident.

And another shout out goes to the flickr community who have offered support, given me great suggestions, and shared their own stories. You've answered my questions and I've learned quite a bit. One 9 week old Boston pup accidentally fell 5 ft when he leapt from his owners arms and fell down off a porch. He fractured both front legs on both sides of the bones! The vet said they had two options, put him down or attempt surgery. Now he's doing so well you'd never know he had BOTH legs broken. I'm so happy for them and hope the same for Vinny.

Of course I don't mean to leave ANYONE out, and I'll keep making sure to give credit and thanks to you all.

Vinny gives everyone snorts and kisses.

Comments on "Night Two"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Saturday, August 05, 2006 2:50:00 PM) : 

There is nothing more precious than a pet......We spent a load on our pup with parvo, blood transfusions the works......Wouldn't have had it any other way......I took care of her at home with Iv's, im meds, the whole deal......we don't care what other people think do we.......

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Saturday, August 05, 2006 5:17:00 PM) : 

I am in love with Vinny.....you are doing the right thing....keep us all posted.........I know what it's like.....I nursed a dog back from parvo............

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Thursday, August 10, 2006 7:31:00 AM) : 

Love from Rory Elizabeth!

http://www.myspace.com/rorybeth

She's a red and white Boston, and tells me she is in love with Vinny!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Thursday, August 10, 2006 7:43:00 AM) : 

PS Consider joining the Live Journal Community for Bostons

http://www.livejournal.com/community/boston_buddies

They are very supportive with good ideas - and adorable photos too!

 

post a comment